Saturday, January 19, 2013

Day 1 - Overcoming Jet Lag and Exploring The City!

Thank you airline miles! I can't even begin to describe how amazing our flight was to China in first class...I had no idea! To any potential adoptees out there, start saving airlines miles now! Neither Brandon nor I travel for work; we earned all of ours through multiple credit card offers over a few years.

Even after 12 hours of sleep the first night, I was still groggy all day with jet lag. But of course, Brandon doesn't seem to be effected at all! So we took it slow the first day and decided to walk around and explore our part of the city. We found a beautiful park for MeiLin right next to the hotel. Everything we saw was so metropolitan - not what I was expecting. No rickshaws or kimonos, but we did pass the Maserati/Ferrari and Porsche dealerships! Guess I needed to bring makeup after all (inside joke).

We didn't see any "American" restaurants while we were out. I started to get worried because the hotel food is really expensive. I reached out to another Gladney family who is a week ahead of us in their process. Such a Godsend! For dinner, she was able to direct us to an amazing shopping center with Papa Johns, Subway, Dairy Queen, and a few others. Feeling much better about the cuisine and only a 10 minute walk!

Not many pictures from our adventures today. It was so cold outside that we opted to stay bundled up with our hands in our gloves. Figured everyone is really looking for pictures of the little one anyways! The one time we pulled out our camera - big mistake - vendors came out of the woodworks trying to sell us watches, Monte Blanc pens, knockoff purses, etc. You couldn't lose them! A shoeshine guy knelt down and shoot white stuff all over my shoes before I could say no! I bought them for this trip so they are all of 2 days old and didn't need shining! I guess he could tell I was upset because he finally wiped it off after trying to shine my shoes twice with me dancing around! Good thing I was expecting "no personal space"; it's so true!

Well, that is all for tonight; only 36 hours until we meet MeiLin!











No comments:

Post a Comment