Monday, January 28, 2013

Day 10 - US Consulate Visit

Today we had our appointment with the US Consulate. The appointment was scheduled for 10 am. So, we had to leave the hotel at 9 to make it there in time. We arrived plenty early only to discover that they had us down for an 8:30 am time. Our guide even confirmed the day before that we were at 10. Luckily, that was not an issue. They let us in and right at 10 they saw us. It was less formal than we would have expected. The whole process took place at what could be described at a bank teller like window behind a thick pane of glass. We took a quick oath on behalf of MeiLin since she is too young to take it herself. Then the consulate employee, an American named Allison, reviewed our paperwork to make sure everything was in order, which it was. And that was it! We were done by 10:10. Our guide will go back tomorrow to pick up MeiLin's passport with the visa and we will be all set to return home on Wednesday. The US consulate was on the 4th floor of a nondescript, normal looking office building. No flags flying or any American soldiers - I didn't even see a sign. It was manned by "consulate security guards" a.k.a. cheaper Chinese labor.

Since we were done so early and had nothing else till 3 pm, we planned to have an early lunch and then MeiLin down for a nap by noon for a couple of hours. (Mommy and Daddy needed the rest!) Naturally she did not cooperate and was up after only an hour. Rather than be cooped up in the hotel, we decided to go for a walk outside. It was another gorgeous January day in Guangzhou with temps around 70. Mommy bought some new shoes and MeiLin just loves being pushed in her stroller!

At 3:00, we headed to Shamian Island where all of the adoptions were previously centralized. it is home of the famous Swan Hotel (shut down while being gutted and renovated), the US Consulate, (moved 5 years ago to mainland) and the Medical Building (moved last year to the mainland). But the island is beautiful. The English settled there in the 1800's so the colonial architecture is truly stunning. And there is the most beautiful park! We did TONS of shopping - the prices were amazing. I got MeiLin some traditional Chinese dresses in various sizes and a lot of other souvenirs. MeiLin started to try and walk when we first got her but then she decided she prefers to ride in the stroller or be carried. We found the cutest "squeaky" shoes - so I am hoping those will encourage her to start walking again tomorrow!

We had dinner at Lucy's on the island. It was just as amazing as promised. We sat on the patio and ate our dinner with the other Gladney family and our guide, Jack. It was truly perfection. The weather was perfect, the food, the oldies but goodies on the radio, and our new little baby girl swinging her legs in her high chair. I truly think there are only a few of those moments in life and that was one of them for me. The music reminded me of my Mom...summers by the pool, cleaning house, songs playing on the jukebox. It made me a little sad, but then my little baby would look up at me and I would smile down at her with all of my love!

When getting MeiLin ready for bed tonight - I had the best Mommy moment. I swear she looked up at me, said Mama, and put up her little arms. I just shrieked with joy; another memory I hope to engrain forever! So a great day!

Sorry everyone, I did not take as many photos today as I should have!

Photos: MeiLin's first trip to McDonalds, Shamian Island, a photo shoot of a model, statue of an American family with their adopted child, the beautiful park, our guide, Jack, and Lucy's





























1 comment: