Monday, January 21, 2013

Day 4 - Recap of Day 3 and More Paperwork!

Our Gotcha Day was the best day of our lives! Apparently, God knew that I couldn't handle a screamer - praise the Lord! MeiLin is so quiet; we aren't sure if she truly has a shy personality or whether she is just traumatized by the events of the last 24 hours!

Sorry, but I have to forewarn everyone that this is a long blog!

It started at the Adoption Center yesterday where they informed us we had 24 hours of a "probationary" period where we could change our minds if our child was not a good fit the first day - can you imagine a return policy! They even coach the older kids to "be good" so they aren't returned - breaks my heart! One of the older girls being adopted proudly announced to our translator this morning that she didn't cry the first night. :(

Of course our little MeiLin was an angel! Se cried when they first brought her out but after we bribed her with a sucker she became a quiet observer. She cried again at her first nap, Daddy rocked her to sleep and then Mommy got to rock her to sleep for bedtime when she cried again.

After learning that the toddlers are only given blocks to play with, we bought some first thing at the store - even though we have some at home. Good choice, as she just loves them. She will gather them into a pile then spread them out or stack them up - so cute! So far she is afraid of any "soft toys" like stuffed animals, her doll, fuzzy blankets, etc; we will need to work on that! She still isn't walking yet, but she loves to stand and play with her blocks on the coffee table. We tried to get her to walk...but she doesn't bend her knees...it is like she is trying to walk by rotating her hips. Also the evaluation report was specific to mention that she lifts her head when you are putting her into an upright position (as the lack of that is a potential sign of autism), but she seems to be letting her head fall back. Lastly, they told us that MeiLin was 20 pounds but we show her at 14 pounds - the 12 month clothes fit but the size 5 shoes slide right off of her! She doesn't seem malnourished...she actually has a cute little tummy! But we will ask about all of this when we take her in for her medical evaluation at the International Adoption wing of Children's Medical Center upon our return.

She is true to form and is not a picky eater...just like her information sheet said. She actually gets excited to try new foods...clearly not my biological child. ;) And she is such a clean eater! If food falls on the table, she is quick to pick it up and put it back on her plate. Not sure how they taught her that, but I like it! Also, she is such a helper when getting her dressed. If she sees a shirt, she sticks an arm out, lifts her legs for pants and socks, etc. I am loving it as I wasn't sure how one manages to put clothes on a moving target...

MeiLin has been such a trooper over the last few days. We have hauled her around from government office to government office while we wait in scalding hot rooms for what seems like hours and she hasn't made a peep (only when we put her down to sleep). It makes me sad, though, because she has learned that no one comes to get you when you are crying so why bother. Breaks my heart!! Thus, she has learned to have the patients of a saint, which comes in handy for first time parents who put on her pants only to realize the shirt snaps under her body or when she gets her pjs on and we realize we forgot the nighttime lotion - seriously, never a peep out of her.

We are in Shanghai with 2 other families - one also with Gladney from Pennsylvania and another family from a different agency from Houston. I love how this always plays out no matter where you are in the world.

Me: Where are you from?
Them: Houston
Me: Oh! My twin sister and her family live in Houston; well, Spring
Them: We live in Spring, too!

I swear - everyone from the Houston area actually lives in Spring - it is uncanny! The other families are great and so helpful to us first time parents as they are adding kiddos number 4 and 3 to their families. One is adopting a 9 year old and the other a 6 year old. They are just adorable and are so excited to be adopted. You should have seen them run into the adoption room, arms wide open, shouting "Momma Pappa!" Then there was our little treasure just bawling her eyes out. A 5 year old boy from one of the other families was very concerned and kept asking why ours was crying but the other girls were happy - so cute!

Observations of MeiLin: I am happy to report to Amber and Walter that it looks like another lefty will be joining the family! She just starting waving at Brandon and I - so cute! She wasn't affectionate at first (they don't dote on the kiddos in the orphanage) but she has already started lifting her hands up to be held - I just love it and can't resist to squeeze in some cuddles. She is a typical child who does stuff and then looks up at Brandon and I to see if we are watching. Of course we are - with big smiles our faces and she just loves it! Brandon got the first smile out of her. It was at dinner the first night. He rolled a little car at her, she grabbed it, picked it up and smiled. Needless to say, we have been playing that game over and over - we love to see her smile!

The adoption became official (after the 24 hour waiting period) on the Chinese front this morning (Day 4)! So now we wait for her Chinese passport to be prepared, then it is off to Guangzhou on Friday to finalize the adoption on the US side. Truth be told, I am just dying to huddle her up and bring her back home in a plane to the US, but government officials have other plans! Sigh!

Two seconds of "Me" time on the blog: 1) Party foul - I took two pills this morning with tap water - a big No No! I can just see the parasites swimming around their new environment - my stomach! Well hopefully not, just praying that I dodge this bullet! 2) My Chi hair straightener was killed in transit. The bag for my Chi literally has what can only be be described as black drag marks on it and it was busted when I opened the bag. Not sure how that happens in a closed suitcase, so I guess ours was opened?!? I bought a new one at the store yesterday. Yeah, it totally doesn't work - after it heats up it is still "lukewarm" enough for me to touch with my finger. Alas, there is nothing like two weeks of bad hairs days and nothing you can do about it. This brings me to my last topic...3) my wardrobe. Everything I found talked about how cold it is in Shanghai. While this is true, they failed to mention the fact that all buildings are set to like 90 degrees. Talk about a shock to the senses! After spending the first two days sweating myself to a detox, I have switched to only wearing my cooler outfit for the rest of the trip. Yep, you heard that right. I brought all of 4 shirts (3 sweaters and a cardigan) and I have resigned myself to wearing the one cardigan EVERYDAY. You just have to let stuff go and it is simply too hot! Maybe I will find another shirt during our shopping trip tomorrow?!? So for potential Shanghai travelers out there...bring cool outfits with a nice warm coat! Sorry, I clearly exceeded my allotted two seconds...but I needed to vent (and, lets be real, thoroughly explain my hair and wardrobe malfunctions!)

As I type this, MeiLin has FINALLY fallen asleep for her nap (she played in her crib by herself for over an hour)! She is just precious. I love how so many people stopped to say how cute she is today. I need to work on my manners because I keep saying, "I know, isn't she?!?" instead of "Thank you!" But I can't help but think she is just an angel...apparently, love goggles for your child happens to adoptive parents, as well!

Well, we are off to an early dinner tonight and then sightseeing and shopping tomorrow. No more paperwork until we get to Guangzhou! Apologies for the rambling blog today. It is difficult to type on the iPad and we missed a true blog yesterday - we were still trying to figure out life, as I call it. Until tomorrow...

Photos: 1) Brandon holding MeiLin before we head out for the second day of paperwork. 2). A picture of our official adoption ceremony in China! Sorry, we took photos with our real camera today but can't upload those until we get back to the states. Only iPhone photos for now...





No comments:

Post a Comment