Friday, January 25, 2013

Day 7 - Travel to Guangzhou!

Wow! Not going to lie; today was a VERY trying day for all. We ate breakfast and packed in the morning for our 11:30 departure to the airport. Keeping MeiLin entertained within one room for that duration required a wild use of the imagination! Thankfully, "it" happened in the room vs out on the go...we had our first "blow out". I bent down to pick her up and change her diaper and I said, "Brandon, it feels like she is wet." Ugh! #2 had come out of the leg portion of the diaper and rolled down her pant leg. Fun times.

Needless to say a change of clothes was in order. That was when I realized the size 18 month pants I brought were WAY too big. They just fell off at the waist. So the washing of those size 12 clothes were definitely in order once we arrive in Guangzhou . Thus, I am now down to the dirty pants, the ones I put on her, and the change of clothes in the carry on. While at the airport waiting for the plane, her pants became wet again. This time we left them on her since it was just pee (I know - rather disgusting) but that would leave us with only one pair of pants!

Take off for the plane ride was beyond horrible. MeiLin has had fluid in her lungs since we picked her up on Mon. We have been giving her medicine but it hasn't cleared up yet. (I know experienced Mom's out there know where this is heading...). Yep, she ended up having HORRIBLE pressure in her ears and started wailing. This was a cry we hadn't heard before - sheer agony. We tried to give her a sucker to suck, she wouldn't take it. Then we tried to get her to suck from the sippy cup - nope. By this time, we had 4 concerned Moms and a flight attendant standing around trying to help us. They kept saying to give her milk (one of them spoke English!) but we checked the formula in the checked luggage and they didn't have any on the plane. So we put water in the bottle - she wouldn't suck it. We tried Gatorade in her bottle - she would suck it. This is when she began the head thrashing. My poor baby was just throwing around her head. Into Brandon, into the seat ahead, into the armrest. Brandon had to bear hug her to keep her from hurting herself, but it was all he could do to hold her. This is when I just lost it and start bawling. I was out of ideas and had no way to help alleviate her pain! Finally, Brandon got up and took her to the bathroom. Our co-traveling family from Gladney was amazing - the Mom, Renee, came back and sat with me. (The person in the third seat in our row found a new seat :). ). Renee told me about how her first born was colicky and how sometimes there is nothing you can do once it has reached a certain point. Boy did I need that, I was feeling like the worst parent in the world. After 20 minutes Brandon wasn't back and one of the daughters reported that she could still hear her crying in the restroom. So Renee offered to take a shift of holding MeiLin. Brandon was relieved to hand her off in the bathroom but said that he was still having to bear hug her - that she was still thrashing. :( After about 10 minutes I was feeling bad and went to relieve Renee. She is a baby whisperer! By the time I got back there, she had calmed her down and MeiLin wasn't crying anymore! I can't begin to explain the relief to see the pain gone from her eyes! She was good for the rest of the trip at the high altitude. Before we started to descend, I went to the stewardess area and asked for juice for the bottle. The guy was great! He had me sit with him in his seat (there was major turbulence) and he filled the bottle to the top. So much so that when I put the straw in the bottle it split down my leg and even into my shoes. All of the flight attendants including myself had a good laugh. And that did the trick! During the descent, we alternated between the bottle and the sippy cup so that she was constantly sucking. The poor baby must have had 14 ounces of liquid within a 25 minute span. (Once again, experienced Mom's will see where this is going!). I tried to tip the stewardess guy when we left, but he refused saying it was his pleasure. So a "Thank You" shout out to Eastern Airlines is in order! Yep - last one off the plane and as I am approaching the front of the plane, MeiLin throws up. On her shirt, sweater, and jeans and down my arm and hand, but luckily none on my clothes! (Good thing I didn't changed her pants earlier at the airport or the baby would be naked tomorrow!). I cleaned her up as best as I could and kept trucking for the luggage area.

Thankfully, the rest of our trip to the hotel was uneventful, but MeiLin never got her nap and Mommy and Daddy are physically and mentally exhausted. Boy, this sure wasn't in the adoption brochure! ;). There were quite a few times today where I had to stop and take a deep breathe...but I am happy to say that we made it - and are now at a beautiful hotel in what looks like an amazing location. It totally looks like Vegas!

I am sure I will crash after publishing this...so Good Night (or should I say Good Morning) to all!























No comments:

Post a Comment